25 de febrero de 2014

Food // Steamed Garlic Chicken

This is my first ever entry showing a concrete intention to start living healthy. So yay me!

I have decided that the first recipe I would be making public is my own version of steamed garlic chicken. Now a lot of people I know are intimidated upon the mention of the word steamed, since it obviously entails the use of a steamer. I must admit, this particular cookware could look lethal, but I have recently discovered that it's actually very far from that. In fact, it is very safe to use, plus it is super duper healthy! Steaming cooks food by boiling water (and not oil/lard/other unhealthy stuff!) so it's practically impossible to burn or overcook your food. Also, it could cook almost anything. 

Now let's begin. I have previously mentioned that steaming makes use of boiling water as a means of making food edible. From this I derived one very important thing to keep in mind when steaming: keep your water good and seasoned. I suggest ginger or garlic since these two give off pungent smells, and because strong aromas somehow conditions your brain to take smaller bites of food, this could help you in losing weight as well. 

WHAT

My run-to marinade mixture would be olive oil, sesame oil, more garlic, thyme, black pepper mill, salt, or whatever spice I find in the kitchen. For this particular recipe, I combined all of these, but you could always buy the powdered ones that come in small packets at the grocery. They're easy, cheap, but not so healthy.

HOW
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a huge bowl. 
2. Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
3. When you think your chicken has absorbed all the flavors, place the rest of the ingredients in the steamer pot. Mix well and bring to a boil on medium heat. 
4. Meanwhile, line the steamer basket with aluminum foil. NOTE: It's for gathering the juices so you won't end up with a dry slab of meat.
5. Place the chicken in the steamer basket and put over the pot when the water starts to boil. Lower the heat for a slow, steady cooking process. It should look something like this.
6. Cover the steamer with the lid. NOTE: This is very important to retain the flavors to be absorbed by the chicken. Remove the lid only when it starts to lightly pop off. 
7. Turn off heat when meat is tender. NOTE: You would know when the meat is white and by poking it with a fork. It should feel...cooked.
8. Allow the pot to cool down for a minute. Gather the ends of the aluminum foil (with the meat inside) and lift the entire thing up to transfer to a plate. 
9. Pat yourself at the back. You have just made yourself a very healthy dish!

Serving Suggestions
Because it is very flavorful, it is perfect with some simple garden salad or a serving of boiled potatoes. I normally take a portion of this from last night's dinner for lunch at work with some lettuce and tomatoes. It's usually enough to keep me running all day!

PS: If you have just moved out and buying a steamer isn't something you're planning to do anytime soon, you could check out the alternative options here
PPS: I am in no way an expert in cooking, but this recipe seems to work out just fine for me. 
PPPS: The ingredients/steps aren't very restrictive, so as long as you know you it does the job and it could make your chicken edible, don't hesitate to experiment and try new things out. Enjoy!

What do you normally take to work for lunch?

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario